Salton Sea – Endangered Landscape Photography
- Fast Facts: Largest lake in California – 35 miles long, about 43 feet deep at its deepest place.
- Sits below sea level and right over the San Andreas Fault
- Best times to visit: November- MarchBirders Paradise: Over 400 species of birds – but large groups of birds – the diversity only surpassed by Big Bend in Texas
- Mudpots and mud volcanos – East side of lake.
Art – Outdoor Art installations-
Salvation Mountain – http://www.salvationmountain.us/
Painted mountain – one man’s testament to his beliefs – verses painted on his mountain. Stay on the paths take nothing but photos.
Slab City – “The last free place in America”- an eccentric group that lives here
East Jesus – open sunrise to sunset 365 days – please be respectful of signed private areas – people do live here.
Sculpture Garden from all kinds of recycled items- computer parts, bottles more
Tips for a day trip to Salton Sea area:
- Lots of water-heat exhaustion
- Snacks-power bars
- Sunset photos near the geothermal plant – where there are some dead trees for sculptural interest
- Sunrise – Red Hill Marina – walk out towards trees
Sonny Bono Nature Preserve-Birds- check their website for more details-
Bombay beach – old boat pier-old crane- old pilings- be careful on where to park so as not to get stuck in the soft silty sand.
Suggested camera equipment:
- Tripod – long exposures-night-light painting
- Wide angle for nice large landscapes
- 300-600mm or more for bird images – so you can keep your distance yet get in close to see details.
Rental Lenses: https://www.borrowlenses.com/
All around walk around lens for some of the Outdoor art installations at Salvation Mountain/East Jesus.
Flashlights for light painting-
Hoodman Loupe – view the back of your DSLR in daytime
Sunscreen for yourself- some also like to wear a breathing mask due to the fine particles
http://tinyurl.com/yahmkxwq (breathing mask)